Ensuring Our Jazz Heritage:
The Impact of Jazz St. Louis and Our Supporters
April is jazz appreciation month. It’s no secret we celebrate this genre of music everyday here at Jazz St. Louis. It is ingrained into our nation’s and city’s history and cultural identity. It is who we are. We often talk about how music and jazz are transformative. We’re changing lives of students and whole communities in the area through our educational and community engagement programs. We’ve graduated students from our programs who go on to share their talents as educators, passing on their gifts to a new generation of musicians. Our local efforts have impacted the world on a larger scale. Many students who graduate from our JazzU program go on to become professional musicians, creating music that reach far beyond St. Louis. All of our students leave our programs more well-rounded and poised as a result of the skills they’ve gained and the unique opportunities they’ve been given here at Jazz St. Louis. They become confident leaders in their schools and communities all over the country and globe. We’re extremely proud of what Jazz St. Louis has accomplished in our community for over 20 years. We would be remiss however, not to recognize the fact that none of this would have been possible, nor will it continue to be possible, without the generous support and donations we’ve received from the residents and business community of St. Louis. In the spirit of Give STL Day on May 1st, we want to take this opportunity to share with you some of the many ways which YOU have helped to transform the lives of many, as well as the city of St. Louis:
- Jazz St. Louis provides approximately 820 cab rides to students each year
- 100% of JazzU students go on to college
- Students develop self-confidence and learn creative problem-solving strategies, team work and presentation skills necessary for success in everyday life through ensemble and on-stage performance opportunities
- 10,000 students from across 30 districts, 64% of whom come from under-resourced communities, receive musical instruction and access to our educational programs annually
- Built a world-class performance venue attracting the hottest talents in jazz as well as tourists
- Recognition from critics and leading jazz musicians
- Leading jazz critic, Nate Chinen, acknowledges Jazz St. Louis as among three significant institutions for jazz, alongside Jazz at Lincoln Center and SF Jazz
- “This is truly one of the great organizations for jazz in the world. Not just in the United Sates, not just in St. Louis, in the world. You have something very special here.” – Sean Jones, musician
This is the power you, our supporters, our donors, our audiences have had in shaping lives and communities. We truly have something special here. Thank you for helping us to celebrate the tradition of jazz. Thank you for being a part of our mission and our journey. Let’s keep it going.
As a not-for-profit organization, Jazz St. Louis relies upon the generosity of individuals, corporations, and foundations to sustain our education and community engagement initiatives. With your help, Jazz St. Louis instructs the next generation of jazz musicians and audiences, connects St. Louis and the surrounding community through the uniquely American art form of jazz and presents world-class jazz artists in an intimate and accessible way. Our myriad education programs are provided free-of-charge to thousands of students each year throughout the under-served communities of St. Louis and at the Centene Jazz Education Center.Join our generous donors, help us keep jazz alive in St Louis, and make a tax-deductible gift today! Give STL Day takes place on May 1st, but donations can be pre-scheduled now.